Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happee Yankee Thankee

One of the last things that Vonnegut wrote before he died.

Joe Heller

True story, Word of Honor:
Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer
now dead,
and I were at a party given by a billionaire
on Shelter Island.

I said, "Joe, how does it make you feel
to know that our host only yesterday
may have made more money
than your novel 'Catch-22'
has earned in its entire history?"
And Joe said, "I've got something he can never have."
And I said, "What on earth could that be, Joe?"
And Joe said, "The knowledge that I've got enough."
Not bad! Rest in peace!"

--Kurt Vonnegut

The New Yorker, May 16th, 2005

5 comments:

Jaye said...

I'm saving that one, Kieran.

One question. Did you take the picture of the giant turkey?

Kieran said...

nope, it was a photo from Google Maps StreetView in Pittsburgh

Brian Murphy (owner) said...

I wish I was as rich as Joe Heller...

Paul and Janis said...

Kieran,
The Vonnegut story was quite aprapos for Thanksgiving. We all have much to be thankful for ( or is that "for which to be thankful." )never end a sentence in a proposition. Love you guys. I know grammer but I can't spell for ---- anything.

Kieran said...

Monte you should write a book. How about "Catch 23"?