This is the creche the five Murphy kids grew up with on 14th Street. Mimi asked me to post a picture of it after her last visit here, when we celebrated her last birthday. Do you all remember it?
Hope you have a great birthday, Mimi!
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Oh, thank you so much Jaye, for your thoughtfulness and your birthday wishes! I remember this creche so well on top of the record player in the living room on a green cloth, every year. I have a snapshot of Pedro, our black dog when I was quite small, who always escaped to Prospect Park every time he found the door open, with his paws propped up on the creche.I hope I can post it with the help of Teddy's scanner and Sara's expertise so you can make the comparison with the McLaughlin version. I just returned from a wonderful Birthday Bash at Teddy's, which included the perfect Martini by Antonio (a revered expert on this cocktail) as an aperitif, then a delicate fennel soup Sara created, roast leg of lamb with potatoes,onions and garlic (roasted with the lamb) and wonderful artichokes, which go soooo well with lamb. But the piece de resistance was Sara's Marquise, the bestest, richest, chocolatest cake you ever tasted. And Spumante to finish. Memorable!!!
Wonderful--and sounds so delicious. My favourite meal (notice the Canadian spelling that's become automatic). Glad it was a happy and memorable birthday, Meem. I certainly do remember that creche. How have all those figurines survived? Jaye, you must have made some replacements. They can be difficult to find and then baby Jesus is bigger than the donkey. It really is a lovely creche. Good job, Jaye.
I haven't made any replacements -- they came to me mismatched in 1997. Many of them have spent time in the "Matt McLaughlin Hospital for Small Broken Things", though (you can't see it in the picture, but one of the sheep has a peg leg).
3 comments:
Oh, thank you so much Jaye, for your thoughtfulness and your birthday wishes! I remember this creche so well on top of the record player in the living room on a green cloth, every year. I have a snapshot of Pedro, our black dog when I was quite small, who always escaped to Prospect Park every time he found the door open, with his paws propped up on the creche.I hope I can post it with the help of Teddy's scanner and Sara's expertise so you can make the comparison with the McLaughlin version. I just returned from a wonderful Birthday Bash at Teddy's, which included the perfect Martini by Antonio (a revered expert on this cocktail) as an aperitif, then a delicate fennel soup Sara created, roast leg of lamb with potatoes,onions and garlic (roasted with the lamb) and wonderful artichokes, which go soooo well with lamb. But the piece de resistance was Sara's Marquise, the bestest, richest, chocolatest cake you ever tasted. And Spumante to finish. Memorable!!!
Wonderful--and sounds so delicious. My favourite meal (notice the Canadian spelling that's become automatic). Glad it was a happy and memorable birthday, Meem.
I certainly do remember that creche. How have all those figurines survived? Jaye, you must have made some replacements. They can be difficult to find and then baby Jesus is bigger than the donkey. It really is a lovely creche. Good job, Jaye.
I haven't made any replacements -- they came to me mismatched in 1997. Many of them have spent time in the "Matt McLaughlin Hospital for Small Broken Things", though (you can't see it in the picture, but one of the sheep has a peg leg).
Post a Comment